Monday, January 30, 2017

My Break From Social Media

This year I've been making a lot of really great changes and I've been coming into my own in a way. I've been becoming more confident I've been loving myself more and I've been all around more grateful. However this past week I've been noticing something a little off. Like my life just needs a little more fine tuning. I've always been a very social person and in being social I have cared a great deal about what others think and feel. That in it's self and in little doses is a good thing. You have empathy for people and you can better understand other point of views. I have taken this to an extreme though where I see what others are doing or saying and it stifles me. I see that someone is doing something different than me and I feel like I should be doing the same. I see someone has a different clothing style or home decor style and I feel like I should change to like those preferences. It seems as if I have lost myself. I don't really know what my preferences or opinions are. I don't really know how I like my hair or what kind of hobbies I like. And while I'm writing this I know it sounds so weird that I could not even know those things but it is true. I feel like I'm an expert on what the Internet and people that I follow on social media like but not on myself! So the solution for me is to take a break from social media. I've deleted the Instagram and Twitter apps off my phone. I've logged out of Facebook on my laptop and I've unfollowed a lot of channels on YouTube.
My goal is, is to treat social media as a tool instead of entertainment. I found that whenever I was bored I went for the path of least resistance and entertained myself with my social media sights. When there is always all of this other stuff that I want to do and learn but I just put it on the back burner.
After I deleted all of my access to social media I made a list of all of the things that I think I would like as a hobby, skills that I want to get better at, and just simple entertaining interests. I also downloaded a few apps that had to do with my interests.
After a few days of doing this it's been pretty great. I've instinctively reached for my phone a few times forgetting Instagram isn't there but I don't really miss them. I've been able to start learning Spanish and I've been practicing piano. I've also been a ton less distracted when playing with the girls and talking to Tyler. I don't feel bombarded with others opinions and preferences so I've been able to find things that I really like and enjoy. I think this was one more door that needed to be unlocked before completely becoming myself. My creativity is flowing and I'm excited for more learning and growing.
I won't be deleting my accounts but I will be using them differently. I only want to use them to keep in contact with people and to keep my friends and family updated with our life. I really like the Internet and I am really grateful for it! I just want to use it for so much more than comparing myself to others.

xoxo Dani

1 comment:

  1. I missed this post somehow and I just have to say 1000000000% agree. Social media is so hard to balance and I totally find myself comparing myself to people I don't even know or care about. And I don't even know what my opinions are either! I love that you've taken time for yourself and your interests. You are awesome, Dani! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete